DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS, ALL TOURS HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY. PLEASE CHECK WWW.MEADOWEVENTPARK.COM FOR FUTURE UPDATES.
SECRETARIAT’S BIRTHPLACE AT THE MEADOW
Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register!
The Secretariat Birthplace Tour offered visitors the memorable opportunity to walk the same grounds where the immortal Secretariat was born and raised. The narration described how the visionary horseman Christopher Chenery transformed his ancestral homeplace into a renowned Thoroughbred farm and how his daughter Penny took his dream to unprecedented heights, first with Riva Ridge, then with “America’s Super Horse,” Secretariat.”
Tours were conducted by Leeanne Meadows Ladin, Secretariat tourism manager and resident author/historian who co-wrote the award-winning book Secretariat’s Meadow – The Land, The Family, The Legend. She has now retired and the position is currently is vacant. Additionally, Groundshaker, the resident great-great granddaughter of Secretariat, and Mia the mini, have been relocated to new homes.
- Foaling shed where Secretariat was born
- Yearling and training barns and the stalls where Secretariat and stablemate Riva Ridge stayed as colts
- The Cove where the Meadow mares and foals grazed
- Site of the training center and track where Secretariat and Riva first galloped
- The Meadow Champions Gallery and Triple Crown Room in Meadow Hall;
- Meadow Gift Shop featuring Secretariat souvenirs, now closed.
- The Chenery Collection of family mementos such as the foxhunting attire and riding boots of Christopher Chenery and Penny Chenery; the starter’s bell from the original Meadow training track; and stride markers showing Secretariat’s enormous 25-ft. racing stride
TOUR TIMES: TOURS HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY
Meadow Stable- the Virginia farm that produced an American legend!
Directions: Take Exit 98 (Doswell exit) off I-95 and follow Rt. 30 east. Meadow Event Park is located 1.5 miles east of King’s Dominion.