SECRETARIAT BIRTHPLACE TOURS:
TOUR THE BIRTHPLACE OF SECRETARIAT AT THE MEADOW EVENT PARK
Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register!
Take our narrated Secretariat Birthplace Tour and walk the same grounds where the immortal Secretariat was born and raised. Hear how Christopher Chenery transformed his ancestral homeplace into a renowned Thoroughbred farm and how his daughter Penny took his dream to unprecedented heights, first with Riva Ridge, then with “America’s Super Horse,” Secretariat.”
Tours are conducted by Leeanne Meadows Ladin, Secretariat tourism manager and resident author/historian who co-wrote the award-winning book Secretariat’s Meadow – The Land, The Family, The Legend. She shares exclusive behind-the-scenes stories about the farm, the family and the famous mares and stallions of Meadow Stable in its heyday. You’ll hear all about Secretariat’s early escapades as a colt, his record-breaking Triple Crown victories of 1973 and even about the making of the Disney feature film Secretariat. The tour is about 90 minutes.
- NOW IN RESIDENCE – Groundshaker, a great-great granddaughter of Secretariat given to The Meadow by Penny Chenery, and Mia, the mighty mini, our own “Little Big Red.”
- Foaling shed where Secretariat was born
- Yearling and training barns and the stalls where Secretariat and stablemate Riva Ridge stayed as colts
- The Cove where the Meadow mares and foals grazed
- Site of the training center and track where Secretariat and Riva first galloped
- The Meadow Champions Gallery and Triple Crown Room in Meadow Hall; also Meadow Gift Shop featuring Secretariat souvenirs and personal book signing by author.
- The Chenery Collection of family mementos such as Chris Chenery’s black riding boots and foxhunting attire; the starter’s bell from the original Meadow training track; and the 1973 Eclipse Award for Outstanding Breeder!
- Stride markers showing Secretariat’s enormous 25-ft. racing stride
TOUR TIMES: ALL TOURS ARE BY RESERVATION ONLY. Tours are generally available Tuesday through Sunday throughout the year. Availability depends on staff schedules and other Meadow Event Park events, such as weddings, festivals and the State Fair of Virginia. Therefore, unscheduled walk-up tours cannot be accommodated. You MUST make a tour reservation in advance.
GOLF CART TRAM TOURS: Our new golf cart tram seats 1-7 people. Ideal for a family outing, small groups or individuals. The cost is $12 per adult; $6 for children age 5 to 12; free for children age 4 and younger.
GROUP TOURS BY LARGE TRAM: A minimum of 15 guests is preferred to reserve a large tram tour. Large trams seat from 25 – 40 guests. The cost is $15 per adult; $8 for children age 5 to 12; free for children age 4 and younger.
Bring your co-workers, civic or alumni association, 4-H club, retirement community, historical society or family reunion out for a tour. Multiple trams for large groups are available. A deposit is required to reserve a tram.
For more information and to schedule a “Secretariat Birthplace Tour” at The Meadow, please contact Leeanne Ladin, Secretariat tourism manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-363-1683.
Reservations must be made in advance. Payment due upon arrival. Cash and credit cards accepted.
Visit the Virginia farm that produced an American legend!
Directions: Take Exit 98 (Doswell exit) off I-95 and follow Rt. 30 east. Meadow Event Park is located 1.5 miles east of King’s Dominion. Enter via Gate 2 for the tours and follow the signs to Meadow Hall.