Now on the National Register of Historic Places and a Virginia Historic Landmark
Take the “Hoofprints of History Tour” at The Meadow and walk the same grounds where the immortal Secretariat was born and raised. Learn about the history of this storied land which dates back to 1805. Hear how Christopher Chenery transformed his ancestral home place into a renowned Thoroughbred operation and how his daughter Penny took his dream to unprecedented heights with “America’s Super Horse.”
Tours are conducted by Leeanne Meadows Ladin, Secretariat tourism manager and resident author/historian who co-wrote the award-winning book Secretariat’s Meadow – The Land, The Family, The Legend. She shares exclusive behind-the-scenes stories about the farm, the family and the famous mares and stallions of Meadow Stable in its heyday. You’ll hear all about Secretariat’s early escapades as a colt, his record-breaking Triple Crown victories of 1973 and even about the making of the Disney feature film Secretariat. The tour is about 90 minutes.
- NOW IN RESIDENCE – Groundshaker, a great-great granddaughter of Secretariat given to The Meadow by Penny Chenery, and Mia, the mighty mini, our own “Little Big Red.”
- Foaling shed where Secretariat was born
- Yearling and training barns and the stalls where Secretariat and stablemate Riva Ridge stayed as colts
- The Cove where the Meadow mares and foals grazed
- Site of the training center and track where Secretariat and Riva first galloped
- The Meadow Champions Gallery and Triple Crown Room in Meadow Hall; also Meadow Gift Shop featuring Secretariat souvenirs and personal book signing by author.
- NEW: The Chenery Collection of family mementos such as Chris Chenery’s black riding boots and foxhunting attire; the starter’s bell from the original Meadow training track; and the 1973 Eclipse Award for Outstanding Breeder!
- Stride markers showing Secretariat’s enormous 25-ft. racing stride
TOUR TIMES: ALL TOURS ARE BY RESERVATION ONLY. Walking tours and tram tours are generally available Tuesday through Sunday throughout the year. Availability depends on staff schedules and other Meadow Event Park events, such as weddings, festivals and the State Fair of Virginia. Therefore, unscheduled, walk-up tours cannot be accommodated. You MUST make a tour reservation in advance.
NARRATED WALKING TOURS: Ideal for a family outing, small groups or individuals. The cost is $12 per adult; $6 for children age 5 to 12; free for children age 4 and younger.
GROUP TOURS BY TRAM: A minimum of 15 guests is preferred to reserve a tram tour. Includes special presentation and showing of Secretariat’s Triple Crown races. The cost is $15 per adult; $8 for children age 5 to 12; free for children age 4 and younger.
Bring your co-workers, civic or alumni association, 4-H club, retirement community, historical society or family reunion out for a tour. Multiple trams for large groups are available. A deposit is required to reserve a tram.
For more information and to schedule a “Hoofprints of History” tour at The Meadow, please contact Leeanne Ladin, Secretariat tourism manager, at email@example.com or 804-363-1683.
Reservations must be made in advance. Payment due upon arrival. Cash and credit cards accepted.
Visit the Virginia farm that produced an American legend!
Directions: Take Exit 98 (Doswell exit) off I-95 and follow Rt. 30 east. Meadow Event Park is located 1.5 miles east of King’s Dominion. Enter via Gate 2 for the tours and follow the signs to Meadow Hall.